Success



I am Punjabi, and just like other Indian cultures, success is based on reputation, education and marriage life.  Unfortunately, I have noticed that Punjabi adults tend to base their lives conforming to this cultural definition of success. A successful person in Punjabi culture has an excellent reputation, for example one who does not date on the regular, go to parties, drink or smoke, wears expensive modest attire, and never defies their parents. A successful person in my culture attends prestigious universities, and studies difficult respectable fields such as science, computers, business, and law. A successful person in my culture is someone who also gets married by the age of 25 to a fellow Punjabi man or woman who their family approves of.  These are qualities of success based on the Punjabi culture but, there are also many materialistic quantities that successful people entail. These include typical materialistic stereotypical definitions of success, a big house, luxury vehicles, gold and silver jewelry, and brand name clothing. These things are meaningless to me, because they do not provide happiness. I believe that a truly successful person does what makes them happy, and is not focused on constantly doing that for others.
Unfortunately many people define success through the accumulation of materialistic items, and popular cultural belief. However, I don’t define success based on the number of items one possesses but rather on the journey towards attaining their happiness. Success in my eyes is similar to survival. Many people that I know want to live in a mansion, drive an expensive car or fly first class; however to me, being able to survive on my own while not being dependent on others is my definition of success. The qualities that a successful person should possess are having a humble reputation, giving back, and sharing their wisdom. I believe a truly successful individual who loves to learn is able to persevere and enjoys sharing their knowledge and fortune with others. Everyone has different ways of measuring success; it is a very personal achievement. People are successful on their own terms, not others. No one can judge or measure ones success other than themselves.  Everyone defines success through their own requisites with their own beliefs and values.
Many people in the Punjabi culture believe that having a family of your own and being married to someone whom your parents approve of defines success. I believe that success is simply that you can provide for your family   financially and play an active role in your spouse and children’s daily life. There are numerous couples who wish to start a family but cannot have children carrying their genes, for one reason or another, and do not consider themselves successful unless they are able to have or adopt a child of their own.  Others may be rich, but have yet to find true love, and they don’t consider themselves fully successful because of that reason. Getting married, being faithful and in love while living in a positive environment is my characterization of success in regards to family life. Having children of my own would be ideal. Being able to provide for my family is currently my utmost priority.  Financial stability I believe is a necessity in leading a successful life. I would consider myself successful if I can not only provide food, and shelter for my family but also little luxuries such as vacations, and the option of providing private schooling for my children versus public education, along with getting them involved in various sports/leagues.
A successful person makes enough money to afford little luxuries without constantly having to worry about how much money they have spent I would consider myself successful if I can take vacations and travel wherever I please. That’s a luxury I have never been able to experience, due to financial reasons. I want to be able to pamper myself when I feel I need it.  A successful person is money conscious. They have to be responsible, and organized to make the most out of every penny. In order to be financially stable with little to no debt, you must be responsible enough to control the income. They must be educated enough to manage money, and be happy with their careers. Happiness is the key to success; it all starts with choosing the right career that you are passionate about. Loving where you work creates a successful person.

0 comments:

Post a Comment